An aesthetic nipple of the right size, shape and positioning is important. Women often want to see our surgeons for enlarged nipples or in situations when the nipples are pointing downward.
Nipple correction surgery is a minimally invasive procedure which corrects problems associated with enlarged, asymmetrical, protruding or inverted nipples and can be seen in both men and women.
Benefits of nipple correction include:
- Increased self esteem
- Improved quality of life: no longer being self-conscious of your breast are
- Increased confidence in appearance, intimacy and general social situations
- The potential to experience successful breastfeeding after surgical correction of inverted nipples
TYPES OF NIPPLE SURGERY
There are several options when it comes to having nipple correction surgery:
- Nipple reduction for enlarged nipples
- Inverted nipple correction
- Nipple augmentation
- Nipple lift
- Areola reduction
A candidate for nipple correction who has:
- Inverted nipples - caused by an injury, breastfeeding, or are congenital (from a shortening of the breast ducts) or from diseases of the breast,
- Abnormally elongated or large nipples,
- Puffy areola or an inverted or asymmetric nipple,
- Difficulty nursing their baby,
Frequently asked questions (FAQ) about Breast surgery:
Q: Can I still breastfeed after nipple correction?
A: Breastfeeding can be more difficult for some women with inverted nipples because their baby may have a hard time latching onto the nipple that is not erect.
Q: Will I have any scar?
A: If scarring is your number one concern, then fat grafting breast augmentation provides the least amount of scarring. The fat is injected into your breasts through very tiny incisions. These tiny incisions leave tiny needle holes, virtually no scarring.
Q: Will my results look natural?
A: Customer will have the accurate diagnosis and results afterwards through VECTRA XT 3D imaging system. Our surgeons will offer suggestions to achieve balanced proportions not only on the breasts, but throughout the body. Viewing and discussing these simulated photos with our doctors will help guide them in performing your surgery to your specifications so that you are sure to love the end result!
For more information about breast surgery, please schedule a consultation with our experienced surgeons
- Discuss with your surgeon about why you want to have nipple correction surgery, what would hope to achieve, what may or may not be possible given your existing breast anatomy, body type and skin elasticity,
- Working with VECTRA XT 3D imaging system to visualize what the potential outcome of your surgery will be,
- Comprehensive discussion regarding risks and complications,
- Previous medical history, underlying medical conditions, personal or family history of breast cancer, a complete list of all medications you are taking, birth control, allergies etc. will also be recorded.
PREPARE FOR YOUR SURGERY
- Strictly NO food and drink including water for 6-8 hours before surgery. Having food or drink in your system could cause complications from the anesthesia,
- Stop smoking before your procedure for a few weeks to avoid nicotine-related risks,
- Do not take medications that could increase bleeding, such as non-steroidal anti-inflammatories and aspirin. Avoid supplements that have similar effects, like vitamin E and fish oil,
- You must be cleared for surgery by appropriate pre-surgery screening (blood test, EKG, X-ray, ultrasound etc.) in accordance with your surgeon's instructions and our Patient Safety requirements,
- Choose clothes that will be comfortable (loose-fitting clothes and slip-on shoes). You shouldn't wear contact lenses, accessories like jewelry, watches, wigs or hairpins. Do not apply any products to your skin or hair the morning of surgery,
- Line up a family member or friend to drive you home after your procedure or post-operative care since you will be receiving anesthesia.
Nipple correction procedure is a relatively simple surgery to perform, often lasts between 30 to 120 minutes.
Inverted nipple correction
Inverted nipples can be corrected with a minor surgical procedure. 2 mm incision is placed along the edge of the nipple then our surgeon will gently release the overly tight ducts. In women with mild to moderate nipple inversion, the surgeon can “stretch” the short milk ducts, therefore pulling the nipple outwards. If your nipple inversion is more severe, your surgeon may choose to cut, or divide the milk ducts.
Nipple reduction for enlarged nipples
Nipple reduction surgery for large nipples involves removing excess parts of the nipple that may represent deformities or an undesirable appearance. It can be combined with additional breast surgery procedures such as a breast augmentation, breast lift or breast reduction surgery.
*NOTE: Nipple correction surgery may involve cutting the milk ducts, which could negatively impact the potential for breastfeeding. The surgery creates tiny incisions at the base of the nipple, and our plastic surgeons make every attempt to preserve the function of the milk ducts.
The improvement in your nipple appearance can be seen right away. Some slight swelling and bruising may last for about a week after the surgery, which can easily be controlled with pain medication.
Recovery from nipple/ aorela surgery is also dependent upon the complexity and range of the surgical procedure.