Breast implants last for a long time, but they aren’t designed to last for the rest of your life. If you have had breast augmentation, but now have problems or don’t like your look, then a revisionary procedure may be the solution to give you the look you desire. Breast implant exchange surgery is a procedure performed to remove an existing pair of breast implants, or, sometimes a single implant
WHO SHOULD CHOOSE TO HAVE BREAST IMPLANTS EXCHANGE?
Some patients request implant exchange in order to upgrade to a different cup size or a new breast implant shape. Sometimes, breast implants can rupture, or other complications such as capsular contracture or rippling can occur. For the rare patient that develops severe scar tissue around their implants, the scar tissue can be removed and the implants replaced. Other issues, such as unsatisfactory implant position or size, can often be improved with revisional surgery
- Discuss with your surgeon what your hope to achieve, what may or may not be possible given your existing breast anatomy, body type and skin elasticity,
- Working with VECTRA XT 3D imaging system to visualize what the potential outcome of your surgery will be,
- Comprehensive discussion regarding risks and complications,
- Previous medical history, underlying medical conditions, a complete list of all medications you are taking, birth control, allergies etc. will also be recorded.
PREPARE FOR YOUR SURGERY
- Strictly NO food and drink including water for 6-8 hours before surgery. Having food or drink in your system could cause complications from the anesthesia,
- Stop smoking before your procedure for a few weeks to avoid nicotine-related risks,
- Do not take medications that could increase bleeding, such as non-steroidal anti-inflammatories and aspirin. Avoid supplements that have similar effects, like vitamin E and fish oil,
- You must be cleared for surgery by appropriate pre-surgery screening (blood test, EKG, X-ray, ultrasound etc.) in accordance with your surgeon's instructions and our Patient Safety requirements,
- Choose clothes that will be comfortable (loose-fitting clothes and slip-on shoes). You shouldn't wear contact lenses, accessories like jewelry, watches, wigs or hairpins. Do not apply any products to your skin or hair the morning of surgery,
- Line up a family member or friend to drive you home after your procedure or post-operative care since you will be receiving anesthesia.
The corrective procedure can be performed through the old small scar created from your original augmentation procedure
A breast implant exchange procedure is generally much easier and less invasive than the original surgery: Patients experience less pain and have a faster recovery because the pocket for the breast implants already exist.